More pages in this section
The Bail Support Services (BSS) aim to address the reasons behind young people being remanded in custody.
By providing the required support and interventions to young people, Bail Support Services increase the confidence of a Court or police that a young person will comply with the conditions of their bail. TheBail Support Service provides a holistic response to addressing the risk factors that have contributed to a young person’s involvement in the youth justice system. For high risk young people, Courts and police are more likely to grant bail if a bail support service is available.
The objectives of the program are to:
- increase the number of young people receiving bail instead of being remanded in custody
- assist in the timely resolution of Court matters
- increase the number of young people completing bail
- reduce the risk factors that lead to non-compliance with bail
- increase the confidence of bail decision makers (police and magistrates) so remand is not used to limit reoffending or as a protective placement option
The TAIHS Bail Support Service has case workers on during the day who help to complete goals with young people on program. BSS also has afterhours youth workers who help young people to maintain their bail compliance and can sometimes engage young people in activities.
TAIHS BSS also has a Community Responder component where we follow up with families who have been identified by the Co-Repsonders as needing some follow up.
The Bail Support Service will undertake an initial screening process to ensure the young person meets the target group and will make a decision on whether to accept the young person’s referral, based on the information provided by the referring agency.
TAIHS BSS will priorities young people who are:
- 10 - 17 years of age
- are on bail with conditions
- are on bail without conditions
- are on orders
- are at risk of reoffending
- are at risk of being remanded
Referrals can come from:
- Self-referrals including young people and their families
- Legal Representatives
- The Queensland Police Service
- Youth Justice Service Centres
Bail Support Service and Intensive Bail Initative (BSS)
10-16 Peel St, Garbutt (access via Lonerganne St)
0448 840 112
Referrals to be email through to: "bssreferral intake"