Opening Times and Details
Office Hours: 8.30am – 5pm
After Hours Service for Client Rest and Recovery available 5pm – 8.30am the following day, Monday - Sunday
Office Address: 12 Turnbull Street, Garbutt
Phone 47 294 800
On-call/After hours number: 0488 536 558
TATSICHS Volatile Substance Misuse (VSM) Service covers the Townsville area. A limited number of services are provided on Palm Island.
The VSM Safe Place provides a Place of Safety and support programs for young people (12-17 yrs) who are misusing volatile and other substances, and who are at therefore at risk of substance abuse. The main source of referrals is Queensland Police.
- Individual Support - personal, emotional, cultural, social, educational, recreational
- Holistic Health Support and Referral including drug and alcohol awareness, stolen generation and cultural counseling
- Outreach/Diversionary Activities variety of activities offered on a weekly scheduled basis
- Transport and Supervision for young people to access activities in the community Educational/Motivational Programs - VSM & other substances awareness for youth and adults, ‘Stand Up' , Yarning Circles (a verbal learning circle designed to assist people in sharing their voice and experiences)
- Rest and Recovery - 72 hour placement for young people ‘under the influence' where personal safety, hygiene and nutrition are addressed and health assessments and referrals are made
- Resources/Information - providing resources and information around youth substance misuse
The program is staffed by a Program Manager, Case Workers and Youth Workers
The VSM program is funded by the Queensland Department of Communities, Child Safety and Disability Services